Blue-Green Algae and Dogs - What you need to know.

Blue green algae.jpg

There's a lot more water round at the moment, ponds and pools are larger. It's even more important to know about, and be careful of, blue-green algae

Blue-green algae, despite its name, it not algae but organisms that clump together in water to create a surface scum. It's very dangerous for dogs.  Toxins from blue-green algae can affect a dog's liver function, can compromise its long-term health, even cause death.

Symptoms of blue-green algae poisoning

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Drooling
  • Weakness
  • Collapse
  • Disorientation
  • Breathing difficulties
  • Seizures and fitting

If you see blue-green algae prevent your dog from drinking it or swimming it. 

Please feel free to copy and share the leaflet above, with thanks to Viovet for this important information